iPREPWA (Industry and PhD Research Engagement Program, Western Australia)
Western Australian universities are looking for local Business/Industry partners to host PhD students to undertake project work under a scheme called iPREPWA (Industry and PhD Research Engagement Program, Western Australia).
iPREPWA is managed collaboratively by the five universities in WA (Curtin, ECU, Murdoch, UNDA, UWA), who have banded together to form a group called AWARE (Advanced Western Australia Research Education). The universities are currently seeking interest from industry partners to participate in the next round commencing 17 July.
The project duration is 6 weeks, with the next round commencing on 17 July. The host organisation provides a project/problem and selects a team of three suitable PhD students from a pool of applicants, who then work on the project based at the workplace. The participating PhD students will have submitted their thesis for examination and are awaiting results.
To find out more about iPREP and how to become an industry partner in future project rounds, please read the extract below or visit http://www.iprep.edu.au/industry.
Alternatively contact the iPREP coordinator based at ECU, Steph Delaporte firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 6304 2069, or the Curtin contact, Tania Lerch email@example.com, phone 9266 4366.
What is the industry partner required to do to engage in the program?
- Generate a project idea that would fit within a 6 week scope
- Provide a mentor from the organisation who can commit at least 2 hours per week during the 6 week program
- Contribute a minimum of 50% to the award for successful students selected for your team (engagement costs and benefits below)
- Industry partners may be from business, government or community ranging from start up's and SME's, through to large corporations and government departments
The selection process
- Organisations submit an expression of interest
- Each university will advertise the opportunity to eligible PhD students
- iPREP WA will select students who possess the skill set matched to your project and will send to each organisation for review
- Industry and PhD speed dating event in late June/early July - students will pitch to mentors
- Organisations select preferred students and submit to iPREP WA for confirmation
- 6 week placement commences
Engagement Costs & Benefits
- Team of 3 PhD students for 6 weeks full-time
- Prominent position of logo and link to company website on iPREP home page, industry partner page and promotional materials
- Project profile and short video on iPREP website
- Opportunity to include promotional flyer in induction pack
- Banner to be displayed at final celebration event